Sunday, November 17th, Good Shepherd Parish and Fr. John Burke from the Archdiocese of Louisville welcomed the Friars to a celebration of 175 Years of Catholic presence in the Portland neighborhood and West End of Louisville, Kentucky.
Good Shepherd springs from the parishes of St. Anthony (ministered to by the Conventual Franciscan Friars of Our Lady of Consolation Province from 1867 until its closing in 2009), Our Lady, and St. Cecilia.
The celebration began with Mass at which friars Fr. Simon Sauer, OFM Conv., and Fr. Ken Gering, OFM Conv., concelebrated.
Following Mass the guests moved to the adjacent fellowship hall for doughnuts, coffee, and remembrances. Tables with photos from all three parishes were set up around the hall.
Br. Dennis Moses, OFM Conv., Province Archivist, contributed photos and other historical information about St. Anthony Parish to share with the attendees, as well as being on hand to answer questions. Several other religious congregations were also in attendance, including many women religious who taught and provided other ministries to children and adults throughout the West End.