Our Lady of Consolation
On May 24, 1875, a statue of Our Lady of Consolation, newly-arrived from Luxembourg, was carried in procession from the Church of St. Nicholas in Frenchtown, Ohio, to a small church seven miles away in the village of Carey.
During this procession, the participants witnessed the first sign of the Blessed Mother’s special protection and intercession for pilgrims and for the people of northwest Ohio.
A storm raged as the statue was carried to Carey, and the people could see rain on all sides, yet not a drop fell on the statue nor on anyone in the procession. Once the statue was placed inside old St. Edward Church, the rain soaked the entire crowd outside.
St. Edward Church was later renamed for Our Lady, and has been rebuilt across the street as the Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation. For more than a century, the Conventual Franciscan Friars have served the Shrine. In 1926, our Conventual Province was formed, and placed under the protection of Our Lady of Consolation.
On this, her feast day, we ask Our Lady to continue to intercede for us, the brothers of St. Francis of Assisi, those we serve, all those who support our ministries, and the many pilgrims who travel to Carey to visit her Shrine.