Italy With The Friars
A Pilgrimage to celebrate the lives of St. Anthony and St. Francis in Padua, Venice and Assisi
September 25th, 2021 – October 6th, 2021
We invite your o. join us as we travel to aqua, Venice, and Assisi, Italy to celebrate the lives of St. Anthony and St. Francis in the Places where pilgrims have gathered for centuries. Not only will we visit the Sanctuary of St. Leopold Mandie and the Basilica of Saint Anthony, but we will visit the humble beginnings of the life of St. Francis which are quiet spaces for prayer, meditation and reflection.
Our space is limited so we encourage you to register as soon as possible. For more information fill out our form and we can send you more information or call Becki Romans in our Mission Advancement Office at 812-923-5250. We hope you will be able to join us in this exciting Franciscan experience.
If the trip is cancelled due to Corona Virus deposits and any trip payments will be returned in full.
Day 1 – Saturday, September 25th
Depart from Chicago or New York, en route to Padua with complimentary meals and beverages served aloft.
Day 2 – Sunday, September 26th
Pilgrims arrive in Venice and are met by Friars Steve and Andy who will accompany us throughout the journey. After checking into our hotel the CasaDel Pellagrino, located in Padua’s old downtown, right next to Saint Anthony’s Basilica, we will have time to explore the local attractions.
Days 2-4 – Sunday, September 26th – Tuesday, September 28th
The first days of this pilgrimage will take place in Padua and Venice. In Padua we will visit places such as:
- the Sanctuary of St. Leopold Mandic,
- the Basilicas of Saint Anthony, Camposampiero, and Arcella,
- and the Arena Chapel of Giotto.
We will visit various places of Venice including:
• the Frari Church (famous for Titian’s painting of the Assumption)
• and Saint Mark’s Square.
Days 5-10 -Wednesday, September 29 – Sunday, October 4th
While in Assisi we plan to:
• Visit Rivo Torto, where the first Franciscans lived
• Tour the Basilica of St Mary of the Angels, which contains the
Porziuncola, the tiny church built by Francis
• Visit the Basilica of St. Francis and the crypt where he is buried on the Feast Day of St. Francis.
• Visit the Basilica of Saint Clare.
• Explore San Rufino D’Arce, site of Francis’ leper ministry.
• Visit Chiesa Nuova, Francis’ family home.
• Visit Carceri, the mountain hermitage used by Francis.
• We will also have a special day visiting a Franciscan church and a winery in Montefalco.
• A possible trip to Florence can be arranged.
Day 10 – Tuesday, October 5th
In the morning we will depart Assisi for Rome, stopping along the way at Greccio (Site of the first Christmas crib), where Francis celebrated Christmas in 1223. Back in Rome, we will have a dinner celebration in the evening.
Day 11 – Wednesday, October 6th
We will depart Rome for our trip back to the USA.
Need more info? Ready to Sign Up?
Thank you for your interest in our pilgrimage to Italy with the friars. If you would like to see the trip cost or sign up, please visit here.
For questions or to receive more information, please fill out the form below.