Top: Fr. Ambrose Finnegan, OFM Conv. at the ground breaking for St. Bonaventure Parish in Bloomington, MN
The Church of St. Bonaventure began through the order of Archbishop William O. Brady, who asked the Conventual Franciscan Friars to organize a new parish on 16 acres of land owned by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis in Bloomington, Minnesota in 1958.
Since then, the friars have provided leadership and ministry as they have been stafﬁng the roles of pastor and associate pastor for many decades. Beyond our work in Parish Ministry, we have been blessed to have many friars in residence call the Saint Bonaventure Friary home in the St. Bonaventure Community. Without a doubt, to reside and work in a community that gave so much back was indeed a blessing. The parishioners have always been generous in sharing their time, talent, and their love.
This tradition of generosity and love has lasted more than 60 years and has borne much fruit. Fruit such as one of their members becoming one of our members. Fr. Richard Kaley, OFM Conv. was inspired and caught by the St. Bonaventure community of faith, life, and spirit. It was a dream come true for him when, later in life, he was able to return to Minnesota, as pastor, and minister to the community that gave birth to his vocation.
So yes, it is with mixed emotions as we leave St. Bonaventure. There is no question our friars have a deep affection for the parish of St. Bonaventure and the people we have encountered during our time there. As we move forward, it is with great pride of the legacy we are leaving and of what has been accomplished. What started as a seed has blossomed into a Catholic community that is multi-generational, multi-cultural, and thriving.