The Greening the Mount campaign at Mount St. Francis includes a goal of encouraging families and individuals to more actively engage in nature and their environment. Hiking, walking, and learning about the natural world at Mount St. Francis will help our visitors understand the interconnection between science, nature and spirituality.
The natural world around us is our home. The animals, plants and everything we see, hear and feel there is part of who we are. By being in nature, it is our hope that visitors will more fully understand and love the natural world and in turn see the need to protect and sustain that world for themselves and future generations.
In 1885, Mary Anderson donated 400 acres of land in Southern Indiana to the Conventual Franciscan Friars which today includes the Friary, Center for Spirituality Retreat Center, and the Mary Anderson Center for the Arts. Adjacent to the buildings is the Sanctuary, which holds the majority of the original land in trust and provides a wildlife sanctuary with hiking trails, woods, prairies and a beautiful lake open to the public.